Sunday 22 September 2013

Gloomy Valentine


Gloomy Valentine is a short animation about 5mins long done with stop motion creations, I thought it was a moving little piece and quite enjoyed it, I stumbled upon it whilst looking for my next review muse and decided that I would share it with you, I like quite a lot of short movies, so perhaps in between my reviews for the weirder more wonderful features I could give little reviews on short movies that I find, the streaming site that I watch a lot of my films from seems to have quite the abundance of independent shorts.



Gloomy is a young woman who has been driven mad by the loss of her love and seems warped by her heartache,  we can only assume that she's dealing with the aftermath of a break-up because there is no indication that she lost her boyfriend through death. So we just get to see a sorrowful Gloomy dealing with her feelings about this break-up in her apartment. I really enjoyed it because it's quite relate able, it reminds me of a time when I went through a similar emotional period last year and the gothic "Tim Burtonesque"  feel to the animation is wonderfully haunting, the music is very beautiful too.

There's quite a lovely little scene where she's looking under the bed to find anything that will arouse her feelings of sadness, she chucks the rose that he gave her from underneath there and then she throws out a bottle that I assumed was of vodka and then she finds what she was looking for and that is a picture of them together. 




The pictures does just the trick and it stirs up the memories of more happier times and she sees their time together in a stark contrast to the bleak black and white flash back she had earlier whilst laying emotional-less in bed, the colours are far brighter in these scenes, juxtaposed to the gloomy reality that she is facing without him, it then hits her that she is left alone and you slowly watch as the bright memories fade and she starts to cry bringing her back to the dark bedroom.









The imagery in this short film I find quite pretty and wonderful, I've always been a big fan of stop motion animation and especially when it has this dark feel to it, seems to always work well. The ending of this short is quite surreal but poor Gloomy is eventually consumed by the darkness that she feels from inside her heart as she desperately tries to clutch the last feelings of her love back as it floats away from her.






I highly recommend that you give this little feature a watch - 






I will be reviewing more short movies soon and I'm currently going to start working on my bigger movie review soon, I have found one that has a subject matter that has been quite prevalent recently.  



2 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting. I also love stop motion animation. Got some really neat European made fairy tales from the 30s and 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen the Quay Brothers' short Street of Crocodiles? It's also on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqmXK1pf7Y

    ReplyDelete